Monday, July 03, 2006

Craft Work

Rob Walker published a great article in the New York Times yesterday about the rising craft phenonenon, as I like to say, artists making art for a living. From the article-

"many craft consumers have borderline sociopolitical motives, seeking in these alternatives to mass-produced, corporate-made goods not just something unique but also a product with no murky labor or environmental-impact back story."

Walker also mentions Craftster, an independent website dedicated to crafting, which is largly associated with the soft arts, yarn and fabric and sewing and such, but does indeed include all things made by hand, preferably well.

Glad to see the Times and Rob Walker in particular on this story. Could just turn out to be the story of the century. ..

technorati tags: , , ,

7 comments:

Natasha Wozniak said...

I was hoping to see more reference to other aspects of the craft world besides the new indie craft movement. For example, how the indie craft movement contrasts with the more mature fine craft world. Nonetheless, great to read about entrepreneurs of the handmade.

Natasha Wozniak said...

I would have liked to see some reference to the more mature fine craft movement as well as the indie craft movement. Nonetheless, great to read about entrepreneurs of the handmade!

Anonymous said...

Facinating article, but then we all knew this was coming... Thanks for visiting my blog and hope to see you again! I will add you to my list as well, wonderful links and references - and I do love 'table art'!

Anonymous said...

Facinating article, but then we all knew this was coming... Thanks for visiting my blog and hope to see you again! I will add you to my list as well, wonderful links and references - and I do love 'table art'!

Susan Schwake said...

hey maryann,
thanks for pointing me in this direction. (yet again!) i agree with natasha... indie crafts as we know are getting a lot of press, but the mature fine crafts often get overlooked. it was a great read though...

diana fayt said...

hmmmm, very interesting. kinda agree with the comments about the "mature fine craft world" though it is nice to see people doing it themselves and carving out a niche.

Florence Forrest said...

Hi Maryann,
I wandered over here via my friend Shannon of Strange Fragments blog.
I sent the article out to some of my friends.

We're just glad there is some press with a hook that draws attention to the crafts, especially as a business, rather than just a hobby.

great blog:)