Friday, February 24, 2006

International Day of Peace


united nations, originally uploaded by novon.

I went to the UN yesterday to meet with a die hard group of peace niks organizing for this year's International Day of Peace (IDP). The UN established September 21st as the IDP in 2001, after 9/11. A resolution to designate an IDP was passed in 1981, but September 21st wasn't chosen until 5 years ago.

There's a lot to do to get the word out, so any help I can get would be appreciated. Maybe September 21st could be dedicated to peace in blogsphere? Will you help me build the momentum? Aren't we sick of armed combat? It's the biggy, world peace, peace on earth. How about giving it a shot. Really living the change we seek. Can world peace be a reality, in our life time? Call me naive, but I think so.

2 comments:

Greenjeans said...

I'd like to help out, Mary Anne. We can definitely do something at the shop to promote the day, a little consciousness-raising thing, upping our efforts from last year.

Keep me/us posted about your work with the IDP, and let's talk about what else we can do together toward it!

Keep it up!

- Amy

Susan Schwake said...

we can do our little part up here in our neck of the woods too... will post this at our other blog to let the dept. of peace here in nh know...
keep going !

-susan